I was asked by Camp Med, a licensed day care schedule and summer camp sponsored by the City of South Pasadena, to give a presentation to our campers about the upcoming Summer Olympics, as I would be leaving for Beijing shortly to work on the Games. I understanding if I just talk and the kids just listen, it could get kind of boring. So instead, I proposed an Olympic house Feud.
The campers were divided into 4 groups. The winning group would each receive a prize. The way it worked is that I would ask a ask and give one exact group a chance to respond. Unlike television house Feud where only one man can participate, here anything from the group could chip in. The team leader would then try to write down the best answer. If the answer was wrong, the ask would move to the next group. If one group was noticeably weaker, they would get the easier questions.
All Halloween Costumes
What struck me is how engaged the kids got. You could see the wheels turning. They started thinking. They wanted to give the right answer. They wanted to win. They were having fun and so were the other counselors.
The questions asked required different skills, memory, mental and also listening (to what I had talked about throughout the summer). Due to the internet, it was very easy to come up with questions as many trivia, kids and facts sites exist.
When I returned from the Olympics, the kids were very curious about my experience. It was as if the Olympic house Feud had opened the door for them to be aware and curious in the Olympics. The event was such a success that we are following it up with a Halloween house Feud. For Halloween house Feud, more jokes and questions with an element of levity will be included. And there will be more questions that our younger kids can answer.
Attached are the questions (with answers) to both house Feuds:
Olympic house Feud
1. Where am I going tomorrow?
2. The J in Beijing, how is it pronounced?
As a z
3. How far away is Beijing from Los Angeles?
4. China is the 3rd largest country in the world. What is the largest country in the world?
5. What is the second largest country in the world?
6. Which country is incredible to win the most medals at the Summer Olympics?
7. Where was the last Olympics?
8. Which country won the most medals at the Winter Olympics in Italy?
9. The Us won the second most medals. How many medals did the Us win in Italy?
10. Who is shooting to win 8 Gold Medals and what sport is he in?
Michael Phelps, Swimming
11. Dara Torres is on the Us Olympic Swimming team. How old is she?
12. Why have so many Swimming world records been recorded in the last incorporate of months?
The swimsuit: Speedo's Lzr Racer.
13. What women's sport will no longer be in the Olympics after this year?
14. Why are some of the athletes not going to chance Ceremonies?
To avoid the air pollution
15. What kind of work do I do at the Olympics?
16. Name this notable man I gave Olympic tickets to in Korea in 1988? Clue 1; He lives in California and is over 50. Clue 2: He's been in science fiction movies. Clue 3: He received weightlifting tickets.
17. Name this notable man I gave Olympic tickets to in Spain in 1992. Clue 1: He lives in California and is over 60. Clue 2: He was in 1 of the batman movies. Clue 3: He received basketball tickets.
18. How many Olympics have I worked on?
19. Name a summer Olympic event that many find great to watch on tv than see in person?
Gymnastics, diving, water polo
20. Where will the next Olympics be?
21. What year?
22. What country did the Olympic Games originate over 2700 years ago?
23. As a 12 year old boy, at the Mexico City Olympics, I was in attendance when Bob Beamon thoroughly shattered a world record. He beat the previous world description by so much that Sports illustrated named this 1 of the 5 many sports moments of the 20th century. What sport did he break the description in? Clue: It was in track & field.
Bob Beamon set a world description for the long jump with a jump of (29 ft. 2½ in.). It was one of the most breathtaking feats in the history of the Olympics. He shattered the description by more than 21 inches. It has since been called the exquisite jump.
24. What Olympic moment did Sports illustrated call the many sports moment of the 20th century? Clue: It happened at a Winter Olympics. Clue 2: It involved the United States
In 1980 at Lake Placid, a group of amateur & collegiate hockey players from the Us defeated the best expert hockey team in the world, the Soviet Union, 4-3. This has since been named the Miracle on Ice.
Halloween house Feud
1. What year did the first Casper the kindly Ghost cartoon appear?
1924? 500Bc? 2004? 500Bc? 1945? (this one) The Middle Ages?
2. Boris Karloff played what notable movie character?
3. What do you get when you cross Bambi with a ghost?
4. Bela Lugosi played what notable movie character?
5. How much does the world's biggest pumpkin weigh? A: 245 pounds, B: 485 pounds, C: 685 pounds, D: 1,385 pounds (this one)
6.What notable movie character did Lon Chaney Jr. Play. Clue: Michael J. Fox, also played this character.
7. according to those silly, scary movies, when do werewolves come out?
At Full Moons
8 What do birds give out on Halloween night?
9. Bodies that are wrapped in cloth and stored in tombs are known as what?
10. In folklore, a male witch is known as a?
11. As a Halloween treat, what chocolate candy bar do kids like best of all?
12. according to legend, which Halloween vertebrate regularly has all of the following: a unibrow, tattoos, and a long middle finger?
A: a werewolf (this one), B: a vampire, C: a witch, D: a golem
13. If you were to draw a witch, what exact item might you want to comprise on her face?
14. A amount of notable Science-fiction and scary movies were filmed in South Pasadena, name 1:
o Back to the hereafter (1985)
o Back to the hereafter Part Ii (1989)
o Back to the hereafter Part Iii (1990)
o Halloween (1978)
o Halloween Ii (1981)
o Halloween: 25 Years of Terror (2006)
o Hell Night (1981)
o Jurassic Park Iii (2001)
o Prom Night (2008)
o Scream 2 (1997)
o Teen Wolf (1985)
o Terminator, The (1984)
15. What's a monsters popular dessert?
16. Name 1 of the 5 most popular Halloween costumes for kids last year (2007)?
Fairy (2.8%)house Feud - A Fun Game For Children Too